你好 from Hong Kong!

HELLO! 

Will Hennessy here from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology studying, you guessed it. Business. Despite their name they have one of the top business schools in Asia . I am originally from New Canaan, CT and I am studying Computer Science in the Carroll School of Management. 

The school itself is much like BC. It is located a few kilometers away from the city, easily accessible through public transportation (MTR), and is on its own self-contained campus…and (like Chestnut Hill) IS GORGEOUS– surrounded by trees, mountains and sits right on the water. 

My campus!

My campus!

I’m living in a traditional double just like I did freshman year in Duchesne (Go Newton!) and my roommate is another exchange student from Germany studying Mechanical Engineering.

I’m taking a full course load including a classical music class (Arts Core), a Biology and Physics class (Natural Science Core), Organizational Behavior (CSOM Core), and a negotiations class (just for fun!). All of my professors are awesome, and all classes are taught in English not Cantonese (the official language of Hong Kong). 

Since the school is publicly funded 70% of the students are local from Hong Kong, and then out of remaining 30% half of them are from Mainland China, and the other half are international students from all over the world. Just in my dorm alone there are students from 29 countries and 6 continents and speak over 10 different languages.

One of the most interesting things thus far is their club fair. If you thought BC took their clubs seriously, just wait until you HKUST. They fair lasts 2 weeks and they made the most beautiful art pieces to show off their club. If I was talented enough, I would want to join the Dragon Boat team—they seem like the coolest team on campus. 

Club Fair

Though I miss game days at school, I’m having an incredible time. I’m in awe of everything around me. Can’t wait to see what surprises me next! 

Will Hennessy

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s